After more than 30 years of involvement in a broad range of medical research, Mike Milken became frustrated with the pace of progress against all serious diseases. As a result, he launched FasterCures / The Center for Accelerating Medical Solutions in 2003 as a Washington, D.C.-based "action tank" to save lives by saving time in the discovery and development of new treatments and cures for all serious diseases.
FasterCures is working to:
- Create an information marketplace through the Philanthropy Advisory Service to facilitate informed philanthropic support and improve the efficiency and productivity of both the philanthropic investor and the nonprofit disease research organizations that depend on this support.
- Collaborate with industry, government, scientific, and professional groups to develop data-sharing projects with medical research and development applications.
- Identify and promote the key elements crucial to organizations pursuing research innovation.
- Advance collaboration among leading research institutions to shorten the cycle of discovery and development and to promote innovation.
- Maximize patient understanding of, and participation in, the medical research endeavor through our Patients Helping Doctors (PHD) Program. Learn more about PHD.
- Engineer the creation of an international network of standardized medical record databases and biospecimen repositories.
- Promote the use of health information for research within the Nationwide Health Information Network and Office of Health Information Technology.
- Develop an organizational model to promote the translation of basic research findings into therapeutic breakthroughs.
- Examine the regulatory process for new therapies to determine areas that can be improved.
- Assess the impact of regulatory and legal issues related to the research process.
- Examine the role of intellectual property in speeding medical research.
David Baltimore, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology at California Institute of Technology; 1975 Nobel Prize in Medicine
Ernest Bates, M.D.
Chairman and CEO, American Shared Hospital Services; member of the Board of Trustees of Johns Hopkins University
Gary Becker, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics, University of Chicago, 1992 Nobel Prize in Economics
Founding Partner, Apollo Management, L.P.
Nancy G. Brinker
Founder, Susan G. Komen for the Cure; former U.S. Ambassador to Hungary
President and CEO, Milken Institute
Gerald Levey, M.D.
Provost and Dean; University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine
Director, Aurec Group; Vice Chairman, Aurec Ltd.
Richard Merkin, M.D.
CEO, Heritage Provider Network
Chairman, Milken Institute; Founder, FasterCures
David A. Steinberg
Founder, CAIVIS Acquisition Corporation